Monday, September 28, 2009

Salad Dressing? Apple Bread?


Okay, everyone! I need your help. It's time for some "blog reader participation"! I'm wanting to find a yummy salad dressing recipe, and I haven't stumbled on a good one yet. The few that I've tried just don't taste right; the ingredients don't seem to blend together very well. So, do you have any great recipes to share with me? I really want to go "all natural" instead of buying the processed stuff from the store. Is there any way to make a homemade ranch dressing? Or honey mustard? Or am I limited to a balsamic vinaigrette? If you've got an answer, please post it!
Also, we just spent a fabulous day at an apple orchard and now I'm really wanting to make some apple bread. Does anyone have a yummy apple bread recipe?
Thanks all!
~Bekah

6 comments:

Pattar E. said...

Hi Beka. I've been on your blog several times but Elyssa had to help me set up an acct so I could write! I just found a mag. at the library "Healthy Cooking" and it remakes recipes with lower fat, sugar, etc. One is for apple bread, I haven't tried it yet, but plan to. One loaf=12 slices. One slice = 200 calories. If you're interested I can send it to you. They recommend using applesauce instead of oil, and cutting most recipes' sugar by 1/4 or even 1/3. I'm really working on revamping my recipes, especially for winter "comfort" type foods! God bless, Pattar

Pattar E. said...

We tried the apple bread for supper tonight and it was really good.

3 c flour
1 1/2 c sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp soda
1 tsp cinnamon
Mix in lg bowl.
Whisk together:
2 eggs
1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce
1/3 c canola oil
1 tsp vanilla
Fold in 3 c. tart apples (I used some we'd been given)
Put in 2 greased loaf pans.
Topping:
1/2 c flou
1/2 c sugar
2 TBS walnuts (we had pecans)
1/3 c cold butter (5 TBS)
mix with knives, or fingers til coarse crumbs
Bake 350 degrees 50-55 min. til toothpick comes clean - or pretty clean. I did 55 and it was still a little doughy. Cool in pans 10 min. 1 loaf=12 slices, 1 slice=200calories

Bekah May said...

Thanks so much, Patter! I think I'll try making the bread tomorrow. It looks really good! I've had apple bread a few times, but we've never made it before, so I was looking for a recipe that was "tried and true". :-)

Unknown said...

The recipe patter sent you is from a Taste of home Magazine.
If you want to see a picture of it.
go to tasteofhome.com and type in makeover apple bread.

Carla

Rebecca said...

I am also looking for a good buttermilk ranch recipe. But, I do make a Greek salad (lettuce, cucumber, tomato, kalamata olives, red onion, feta cheese) that has a really good dressing.
4 T. olive oil
3 T. lemon juice
1/2 t. dried oregano
Very simple and yummy!

Grace Mally said...

Hi Bekah! Here's one Sarah and I like a lot! Sometimes we cut back on the olive oil to produce a stronger flavor.

Italian Dressing:

1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup apple cide vinegar
1/4 cup Braggs Liquid Aminos(or soy sauce)
2 garlic cloves--minced
1 T Dijon mustard
Juice of one lemon
1 and 1/2 teas. thyme
1/2 t salt
1/2 t pepper

Love,
Grace