Sunday, August 3, 2008

Thoughts from Hebrews 12:1-2

"Wherefore seeing we are compassed about by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before Him endured to cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God".


I have these verses posted in front of me as I walk on the treadmill. I wrote them on bright purple paper right where my eyes naturally fall, so I spend a great deal of time focusing on these 2 powerful verses. There is so much truth and encouragement in them! It's been so fun, because I didn't really think that having verses in front of me would mean that God would actually teach me things while exercising. I just thought they'd be nice to quote to myself to keep me motivated. But no! I've been learning that God can speak to me no matter what I'm doing. I don't have to be in my room with my Bible open before He'll speak. I don't have to spend 15 minutes in prayer before asking Him to teach me. I can be walking along with sweat pouring down my face and be barely able to talk and simply offer up, "Lord, (pant, pant, pant) would you (gasping for breath) meet with me this morning? I'm listening. Holy Spirit, please speak to me.". And, He will! So, here's what I've been pondering this past week.



Wherefore seeing we are also compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses...

These verses come right after we read about the members of the "Hall of Faith" in Hebrews 11. What an example these people are to us! Not just because of their faith, but also because of what they endured while remaining faithful. Their lives were not easy or glamorous as it's sometimes easy to imagine. They each had their trials and struggles. But, they exercised their faith. They pleased the Lord. And they've gone before us as examples.



...let us lay aside every weight, and the sin that doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us...

Races are exciting, aren't they? A good athlete has trained hard and has great hopes of winning. Imagine you're in the stands, watching the athletes warm up. They step up to get in their starting positions, and you notice a competitor that looks a little different from the others. He's got something on his back. What is that? You lean forward and try to get a better look. It looks like a backpack or a bundle of some sort. What in the world? Why would anyone want to take extra weight on his back? Doesn't he know this is a race? You assume he'll take if off before the race begins, but no, he gets into his starting position, bending low from the weight of the pack. The gun shot is heard, and the runners take off. You watch with amazement and disbelief as this man tries to run. He does okay for awhile, but quickly falls behind the others. And it's no wonder! That pack is heavy. And completely unnecessary. What was he thinking?


What are we thinking? I'm struck by the fact that the verse reads, "lay aside every weight, and the sin...". It doesn't read, "lay aside every weight which is the sin...". Wait a minute! What is this weight the writer is referring to? It's not sin? In times like these, I grab the Strong's Concordance to get some insight. I couldn't do this on the treadmill though, so I spent a good 30 minutes in suspense. It was awful! I think I moved a little faster, though. :-) Anyway, according to Strong's, the word "weight" can be translated - a mass, (as bending or bulging by it's load) burden, hindrance. Hmmm....so this means that there are things that can hinder or become a burden to me in my relationship with the Lord that aren't necessarily sin. Things that are like carrying unnecessary weight while running. It's anything that slows me down, gets me distracted, and may possibly get me totally off track. Uh, oh. Time to get personal!

So, I began thinking and praying. "Lord, would you please reveal to me anything that is an extra weight that I'm lugging around for no good reason? Especially in regard to weight loss.". And, guess what? I found out that I've been carrying a lot more on my back than I thought! I've had to lay aside several things that have been hindering me. (No, that sounds too dainty. I wasn't simply slowly lowering the weights off and gently setting them on the ground- I was chucking that junk overboard! ) Nothing "major", just little things that, combined together, made a heavy load.

I realized that I was focusing too much on calories, what other people were thinking of me, and day dreaming about how the Lord would be able to use me in the future. None of those things are wrong in and of themselves - there's nothing wrong with knowing how many calories are in an item, or doing my best to present myself in a godly manner, or having a vision for what that Lord wants to do through me. But, it's when those thoughts take "center stage" in my mind and they begin controlling my actions that they present a problem. It's added weight (and we all know I don't need that! *smile*) that does me no good. It just slows me down. So, I'm getting rid of it! And, I'd encourage you to allow the Holy Spirit to reveal to you any extra weight you may be hauling around.

Then, I was thinking about the phrase "run with patience". At first, it kind of sounds like an oxymoron. How do you run with patience? Time to turn to Strong's again! First, I looked up "run". But, no surprises there. Believe it or not, it means...to run! Wow! What great insight! *cheesy grin* But, not easily dismayed, I looked up "patience". Here's where it gets good! Patience can also be translated - cheerful or hopeful endurance, constancy, patient continuance, and waiting. In fact, it stems from another Greek word that means - to stay under (behind), bear (trials), to remain, undergo, abide, have fortitude. Pretty neat, huh?

Here's what I got from that: God has given each of us a different race to run. But, He knows us very well, and He knows that it's easy for us to get distracted. That's why He encourages us to run - because it's a lot harder to focus on things if they're flying by in a split second that if we're slowly making our way along. And, you have to be disciplined in order to run any lengthy distance. But, He also wants us to be patient. Don't rush ahead of Him. Don't become a sprint runner who is only strong for a few short seconds. Don't miss the work He's trying to do in us and through us. Remain in step with Him. Remember? We're called to "keep in step with the Spirit" - Gal. 5:25. It's so easy for me to make my own plans, dream my own dreams, and look for any opportunities to make them work. But, that's like making the mistake of running in somebody else's lane because I'm not doing what He's called me to do. My prayer is that the Lord would make me an Abiding Distance Runner!

"...looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith..."
That's the final key. Focusing not on the goal, but on our true reward - Jesus Himself. The One who even made running this race possible. And the One who makes it worth every step of the way.

Praising Him for His Word ~ Bekah

No comments: