Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Water!

The last few days, I've been reading through all the wonderful books I picked up from the library. Instead of reading through one book and then moving on to another, I have this habit of reading through them all at once! The floor around my bed is covered with all of these different books. I'm sure if a stranger walked into my room, they'd think I was a health nut!

One thing I like to do when reading and carefully judging the content of these books is to look for common threads or ideas. Common things they all recommend doing or eating, and also things they all say to avoid when trying to lose weight. (Other than the obvious things like chips and cookies...) When I can look at 4 or 5 different authors and see that they all recommend a certain thing, it's probably true and a good idea to follow.

This past week, I've been reading about the benefits of drinking water. (And the consequences of not drinking adequate amounts.) Most of us know that water is good for you and we know that we should drink it, but I was reminded again of how important water really is. For example, did you know...
*Your body is about 60 percent water

*Your muscles are about 75 percent water

*Your brain is about 75 percent water

*Your blood is approximately 82 percent water

*Your bones are approximately 25 percent water

Water is important! An average-sized person requires about 3 quarts of water a day. (To determine your water needs, take your body weight in pounds and divide it by 2. This equals the amount of water in ounces that you need per day.) Seems like a lot, doesn't it? Thankfully, we consume about 1/3 of that amount through the foods we eat. For example, bananas are over 70% water, apples are 80%, and tomatoes are approximately 95% water. But, our food only supplies a small amount of what our body needs. So don't think you can get away with just eating foods with a high concentration of water!

By simply drinking adequate amounts of water, (not coffee, tea, juice, etc. WATER) people have been able to avoid (or dramatically reduce) the symptoms of arthritis, high blood pressure, ulcers, asthma, Alzheimer's disease, and more. As a benefit to us girls, drinking enough water gives you a smooth, glowing complexion! Want more benefits? How about...

*Your mind will function more clearly

*It will aid in the elimination of waste

*It will improve circulation

*And lots more!

Another benefit for those trying to lose weight is that it decreases your appetite and has a positive impact on your digestion. And, it's true! I've started drinking 8 to 16 oz. of water about 30 minutes before eating, and I can attest that I do feel more full and satisfied.

I'd love to continue, but I need to run my younger sister to the doctor. More later! ~Bekah



1 comment:

Unknown said...

BEKAH!!! I am soooooo proud of you!!! This is really awesome!

Bethany L.