Tuesday, September 1, 2009

A Different Day In the Gym...

I was on the treadmill, walking at about 3 mph to warm up before I got started on my run. There were two other ladies in the gym with me this morning, and they were chatting away about the weather while riding the stationary bikes. I was trying to focus on the task ahead (namely, running) and doing my best to ignore the TV on the wall in front of me that was blasting "Live with Regis and Kelly". (I don't even know why they turned the TV on, because they never once looked up to watch it!)

After they had spent a few minutes talking, one of the ladies (Penny) turned to me and asked, "So, how are you doing today, dear?". I replied that I was doing well, then asked about her. She said she was doing okay, and I kind of assumed the conversation would end there. I was about to hit the button to speed up the treadmill when Penny asked me, "Hey, do you have a job?". Ugh, I hate that question. Mostly because when I tell people "no" and then also answer their next question ("So are you in college?") with a "no", they usually give me a funny look and write me off as some unproductive member of society. :-)

So, this morning I explained to Penny that I didn't have a traditional job, but that I was going to be teaching a class for home schooled girls. She was very intrigued by that and then asked me a loaded question. Penny said, "Home schooling? Yes, I've heard of that. How exactly does that work?". Okay, I can forget about running for awhile, I thought to myself. I attempted to give her a brief answer about home schooling and how it works, but I quickly figured out that Penny was so interested because she's been having a lot of trouble with her 15 year old daughter (Becky) and she needs help. She explained to me that Becky is very smart, but that she doesn't like all of the rules and "unflexibility" of school. She's not a morning person and is often late for school. She is very artistic but doesn't feel like she's getting to use those talents and has become bored with school. Basically, Penny is very frustrated with Becky. She wants her to get a good education and to actually get a diploma (she is concerned that Becky will drop out of school when she turns 16 because of how bored and frustrated she is with school).

As I listened to Penny talk, I could tell that there were a lot of issues that ran much deeper than school. After talking with her and explaining all of the different options that homeschooling offers, Penny remarked that she has been looking for some hope and that she thinks she's found it now. I gave her our home phone number and encouraged her to call and talk to my mom for more information.

After that 20 minute conversation, I continued with my running and made a mental note to make sure and tell Mom that she should be expecting a call in the next few days. That was at 8:30 this morning. When I returned home at 10:30, I said to my Mom, "Hey, you might be getting a phone call from a lady named Penny..." and at that point my Mom interrupted and said, "Yeah, she already called!". That was a lot faster than I had anticipated! I didn't even have time to give my mom any warning. Anyway, my mom will be meeting with Penny on Thursday to discuss the options that they have, and I'm also praying that she'll be able to share with Penny about the Giver of Eternal Hope, our Lord Jesus Christ! Penny mentioned to my Mom on the phone that she was raised in a VERY disfunctional, legalistic "Christian" home and she didn't want that for her daughter. She's also a single mom, which makes things challenging for her.

So, would you join me in praying for Penny and Becky? Now that we've talked, I feel like we have more of a relationship and I want to begin asking her about her spiritual beliefs, but I want the Lord's wisdom in what to say to someone who has been offended and turned off to "Christianity" because of her experiences. I'm also praying for wisdom for my mom as she meets with her on Thursday.

This morning didn't turn out like I was expecting it to. It definitely wasn't a typical day at the gym! But the Lord is teaching me that He wants me to be available to follow His leading wherever I am and whatever I'm doing. Even if people do ask me if I have a job...:-)

Blessings!
Bekah

4 comments:

Dani said...

HEY GIRLFRIEND!
Thinking about you and hope you're well and happy. :) (Goodness wasn't that a trite statement if you ever read one!?)
But seriously, that is a wonderful story about Penny, and very exciting too. Praise God; He can even use non-morning people like us. :)

Sarah Mally said...

What a neat story!

"A man's heart deviseth His way, but the Lord directeth His steps." Pr. 16:1

Lois said...

Hello Bekah!
I'll definitely be praying with you! I'm sure the Lord will bless your mom with wisdom to talk with Penny! =)

Sarah Mally said...

Did your mom meet with Penny? How did it go?