Saturday, August 22, 2009

Whole Wheat Dairy Free Pancakes

They turned out great! Very filling and yummy. I spread a little bit of natural peanut butter on them (to add some protein) and drizzled some honey on top. Delicious! I like them better than "regular" pancakes.
For those of you who'd like to give them a try, here's the recipe I found online for a basic dairy free pancake :
1 cup flour
3 T. sugar
2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 cup plain unsweetened almond milk or non-dairy milk (I used soy)
1 large whole egg, slightly beaten
1 egg yolk, slightly beaten
1 1/2 t. oil
Mix dry ingredients together and make a well in the center of the bowl. In seperate bowl, mix liquid ingredients together and then pour into dry ingredients. Mix together - batter should still have a few lumps.
Then, fry them up on a greased skillet and enjoy!





2 comments:

Rebecca Florio said...

Hello! My name is Rebecca Florio and I found your blog a few months ago from Grace Mally's blog. I have followed it anonymously since then. :o) I have been on a similar journey as you for the past year. I want to praise you for your obvious perserverance and enthusiasm encourage you to keep the good work up! Your testimony of depending on Christ's strength is a great blessing to me!

Anyway, this post about pancakes brought me out from my "stalker" status. :o) I love pancakes and am so glad I found a recipe so I don't have to cut them out of my diet! These pancakes (a Bob's Red Mill recipe) are very hearty because of the flaxseed meal and oh so good! I make them with Almond Breeze.

Flaxseed Meal Pancakes
1-1/2 cups Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
2 Tbsp. Sugar
3 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
6 Tbsp. Flaxseed Meal
1 Egg
1-1/2 cups Milk (cow, rice, soy, or almond)

Sift together the dry ingredients (whole wheat pastry flour through flaxseed meal). Combine the egg and milk and add to the flour mixture, blend together.

Pour batter onto a medium hot seasoned griddle and cook until bubbles are well-formed around edges of the pancakes; flip and cook the other side until golden brown. Serve with your favorite topping.
(Makes 12 pancakes.)

Also, have you ever made smoothies with almond or soy milk? I made a banana peanut butter one this morning and it was delish and very filling!

God bless you as you continue to seek His glory and honor!

Rebecca

Bekah May said...

Thanks for coming out of the shadows and posting, Rebecca! I'm continually amazed at how many people read this little blog. God is so good! We all need encouragement to keep following in Christ's footsteps by walking in the Spirit, and I'm grateful for your encouragement to me today!

Your pancake recipe looks awesome! I'll try that one next. I love flaxseed so I'm excited to try making them!

And, I'm sipping a banana p. butter smoothie even as I write this. Thanks for the idea! :-)