Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Trying to catch up!

My my my! How time flies. I have sat down at my computer several times in the last few weeks with the intent of updating this blog, but other "more important" things always came up. So now, I've grabbed a few minutes of time this afternoon and am attempting to write without interruptions. (We'll see how far I make it...)

Where to begin? This is why I hate getting behind in posting. So much information to tell! First off, I never posted about my weigh in on April 10th. That week, I made it into the gym every single day! I spent at least 10 hours exercising that week, and it was fun. I was interested to see which muscles needed more work and which ones I had been training pretty well at home. My triceps and thighs were pretty sore the first few days, but it was that "this kind of hurts but I know it's a good thing, because the soreness is a sign of muscle growth" kind of deal. I had kept track of my calories, and I felt that I was getting more control on that front as well. I still sometimes struggle with getting stuck in a rut with meals, so I tried to branch out more. When I notice in my notebook that I seem to be eating the same things at the same meals for a few days, I come up with something completely different and try to keep things balanced out.
But, guess what? My body was still on strike or had an attitude 'bout something, because the scale said I'd gained two pounds. I was like, "Excuse me? I didn't exercise at the fitness center EVERY DAY for at least an hour so that you could tell me I gained weight!". That was a bummer, but I had to realize that I was not defined by that number. That number on the scale did not represent all of my hard work that week, and I wasn't going to let it get me down. Okay, the scale was up two pounds. But I did my part! And one of these days, my body will do its part. I just wish it would hurry up...

I think the weeks where the number on the scale doesn't make sense are some of the most important weeks. I learn the most through them. It's just like any other hardship or trial - we have to make a choice. Are we going to learn the lessons God has for us, or keep coming around the mountain until we do? I have so much to learn! So many things that are not just about weight loss, but things that apply to other areas in life, too. I have to learn to keep going when I see results that are opposite than what I want. I have to learn to let God's Word be the only thing that defines my worth and value. I have to learn how to keep my guard up at all times, because the moment that I let it down I am bombarted with temptations that I too often give in to. I have to learn that ultimately - life isn't all about me. (Shocking, I know.) God still has work for me to accomplish and still wants me to bring Him glory even when the scale shows I'm not making tangible progress. And to be honest, I'm glad for the struggle. I'm glad for the fight! I'm glad that I'm not one of those ladies you see on magazine covers or in commercials wearing skimpy bathing suits proudly proclaiming, "I lost 30 pounds in 4 weeks!" or whatever their case may be. Because they had instant success. They didn't have to work for it, or at least not nearly as hard as I have. I can be proud of my success because I know all the work that I've put into it!

My few minutes are up, but I've only just begun to catch up with y'all. Maybe later tonight or tomorrow I'll find a few more free minutes. I'll conclude with some pictures of the place I've been hanging out most mornings. I've had some fun times in there!

Love, Bekah


No comments: