Monday, April 6, 2009

The Start of Something New...

Well, I did it. I became a member of the fitness center, "The Edge" this morning. I went in at 9:00 this morning to get "assessed" and learn how to work all of the nifty machines.

Shari first began by taking me to each of their weight machines. She showed me how to properly perform each of the exercises and recording how much weight I was able to push, pull, lift, and lower. It was fun! I'm excited to finally have the opportunity to work on toning my muscles and working them more effectively than with just my hand weights here at home. At each machine, Shari would guess on how much weight I could do, and then we'd adjust it as needed. A few times, I said, "Oh, yeah. This is perfect. Leave the weight right here," after performing 2 reps, but by rep 5 or 6 I was like, "Um, okay. Let's take a little weight off!". I have much to work up to, my friends! But I was proud of the fact that even though I'd never used one of those machines before, I was able to do an average amount of weight during the exercises. There is a lot that you can accomplish at home with simple little hand weights! Start there! I'm still planning to use them, even if I do use machines at the gym. You can perform innumerable exercises with them! They are much more versatile than any weight machine. Be creative and work your muscles!

The whole assessment took about 45 minutes, and then she showed me how to work all of their different cardio machines. I've fallen in love with the Elliptical and the Stair Master!!! I had a blast working out. I was sweating and panting, but somehow it was just more fun than at home. Change is a good thing!

I also spent time riding a bike, and at first it actually seemed kind of easy. So I decided to press the "hill" button. Bad idea! Well, actually it was a great challenge. But my quad muscles did NOT appreciate it. My quads were burning so bad I thought they were going to start on fire! Whew! I was glad when my time was up on that torture machine. LOL

I also had to smile, because even though this gym looks really nice and has lots to offer, it's still located in a small, rural town. I didn't meet any "hunks" or "Barbies" while exercising. (You know, people with bigger muscles and/or smaller waists than should be legal.) And I was glad. Because being healthy is not about that!

The people who came in to the fitness center were like you and me - regular people. People who aren't trying to look like the warped and twisted model of "beauty" we see on the magazine covers. We were all there, sweating it out this morning, because we want to be fit and healthy.
There was a sweet 70 year old lady doing leg presses, bicep curls, and the recumbent bike, a lady in her 60's who wanted to improve her leg muscles and her abs, and couple in their 40's who come and work out together (and who also compete with each other on each cardio machine to see who can go the furthest, the longest, etc), a busy mom who carves out time in her day to get in some exercise, a guy in a V-shirt with pajama pants and sandals who spent the majority of his time there lifting weights (his appearance almost made me laugh outright! But, hey -at least he was doing something worthwhile), and then me - a twenty year old who wants to lose the last 10-20 pounds of excess weight. We were quite the bunch! But I loved it. It was real life.

My plan is to make it in to the fitness center at least 3 days a week, so mom and I are going to look at my morning schedule and see what we can come up with. I'm so pumped! The girls called me at noon and were like, "Where ARE you?" I had to pull myself away from there this morning. I'm sure the novelty will wear off, but hopefully not anytime soon!

Hurray for fitness centers! ~Bekah

4 comments:

-C A I T L Y N said...

That is so exciting!!!!!

jessie said...

I love your descriptions of the other people in the gym with you! Now I want to go workout there too! Too bad I'm in MO.

Kitti Klicks said...

I'm so glad you love it! Way to go! Let's get together and go running when you can find time after the conference.

Chrissy

Koda Girl said...

keep up the AWESOME work!!! sounds amazing!! lol excersising is an awesome thing just to stay fit and healthy exactly like you said. (lol my weights usually consist of lifting/throwing hay bales thats my creative home idea! lol