Friday, March 20, 2009

My week at a glance...

Two pounds up this week. Not what I was hoping for. Back to that stinkin' number 169. Rats! But I know that my high calorie day last Friday is partially to blame for that. I did not exercise self-control that day. Yes, I did eat a few things that I normally wouldn't have. However, I think the biggest problem was what I posted about last time - not controlling myself when eating healthy things. I set myself up for a week that would require an insane amount of exercising in order to burn off all of those calories, and I couldn't make time to be insane this past week. So, I wasn't too surprised at the result. Of course, I always hope for the best. But the calories I take in must be lower and calories I put out must be higher. That didn't happen this week, and it's only made me even more motivated to cooperate with Jesus and "Just Do It!" next week.


I did have some good times last week. I decided to go out running down our gravel road on Wednesday morning instead of using the treadmill. That was harder than I thought it would be! First off, it was cold - I think 38 degrees. And secondly, running on mushy gravel (complete with hills) was much more challenging than the treadmill. My goal was simple - keep running and don't stop! I was SO tempted to start walking when my heart was pounding and my calves were burning. Have you ever exercised so hard that you felt like your heart was in your throat? Well, that's what I felt like. I ran the first mile and came to the end of our road, and there I took a one minute break to get my heart rate under control. And I was (again) reminded of how far I've come. For me to run all the way to the end of the road without stopping was a "first". I used to try and run the length of 2 or 3 telephone poles, (that's how we country people measure things) and I'd be out of breath and have to stop and take a break before moving on. That was a year ago. This year, I made it the whole way. I took a break for a minute, then started jogging back home. I was freezing cold (and had worked up a cold sweat - yuck!) and I just kept putting one foot in front of the other. I made it home and ran in the house to check my time. I was actually impressed with myself. I ran it in 20 minutes! That made me feel good. I am making progress! But, I didn't stop to celebrate. I headed down to the basement and hopped on the Norditrack for 20 minutes, and then I did 20 minutes of my cardio workout DVD. (My favorite one is the kickboxing segment!)


Overall, my exercising was great this week. I just didn't do enough to account for my high calorie intake. If I could only get this together! Eating controlled and exercising hard in the same week makes for success on the scale. I know that, now it's time to do it. Does anyone else ever struggle with doing what you know is right? I do, and not just in this area of weight loss. Like I've said before, the truths that I'm learning to help with weight loss also apply to many other areas of life. I'm not just getting a physical makeover; I'm getting a spiritual one, too!


I grabbed an empty notebook this morning and will record my meals/snacks. I'm going to face the calorie facts! I've decided to eat 1,300-1,400 calories a day this week. It's challenging to do that. It feels like you're eating like a bird! But I want success on the scale and a stronger, healthier body more than a second helping. I really do! And it's time to check myself and make sure my actions line up with my words.


On a lighter note, I went out clothes shopping on Wednesday afternoon. Remember how I used to hate that? Well, I don't dread it anymore. I can shop in the normal "misses" section! I currently fit nicely into a size 14, and I'd like to see that drop to a size 12 by the end of this summer. I think that ultimately wearing between a size 10 and 12 would suit me perfectly. I can't wait until the weather stays nice and more like spring so that I can get outside. Walking, running, gardening, jumping on the trampoline, chasing my younger sisters, riding my bike, etc. So many different ways to burn off calories! What are YOU going to do to get more active?

Last night, I made some delicious bran muffins. They are chock full of fiber and a great, healthy snack. I thought I'd share the recipe with you. This particular recipe is called, "Refrigerator Bran Muffins", because the batter will keep in your fridge for up to 6 weeks. That's a good thing, because the batter is enough for 4 -5 dozen muffins so we just keep baking them when we run out! Anyway, I altered the recipe to make it more healthy. I substituted shortening with butter, white sugar with brown rice syrup and honey, and whole wheat flour for white flour. And they turned out quite yummy, if I do say so myself!

Refrigerator Bran Muffins

3 cups white sugar (or brown rice syrup/honey)
1 cup shortening (or butter or a healthy oil)
1 tsp salt
2 cups boiling water
4 cups Kelloggs All Bran (any kind of bran flakes)
2 cups 100% Nabisco All Bran (any kind of all bran cereal - my mom said it looks like rabbit food! lol)
1 qt. buttermilk
5 cups flour
4 eggs beaten

Pour hot water over Nabisco. Cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs, buttermilk, and Nabisco. Sift flour, soda, and salt. Add all at once with Kelloggs All Bran. Mix only until dry ingredients are moistened. Bake in greased muffin tins for 15-20 minutes at 400 degrees. This will keep covered in the fridge for 6-7 weeks.

Enjoy! Continuing on my journey ~ Bekah

No comments: