Friday, September 19, 2008

What's your shape?

This morning, I stepped on the scale and wondered what it would say. Would I get down into the 160's? I was hoping to, and now I'm one pound closer. =) I lost a pound this week, which gets me down to 170lbs and a total of 72lbs lost so far. Just another baby step toward my goal!

Speaking of goals, I've had a few people ask me what my goal weight is, and I kind of smile when I answer, simply because my first response is, "Well, to be honest - I don't really know yet!". There are charts and graphs galore and I've studied them all. But, it really comes down to each individual person. We all have unique body frames and shapes, so I'm not trying to fit into a square on a chart or even a certain clothes size. There's nothing wrong with having a "goal weight" or a "goal size", especially for people who have lost weight before and then are trying to lose what they have gained back. But I don't want to set myself up for disappointment. What if I push myself hard to reach a certain lower weight only to find it almost impossible to maintain that weight? I mean, while exercise is important - it's not the only thing I do every day. I want to reach a healthy and strong and not overweight weight. A weight that I can maintain through daily exercise and healthy eating. In short, something realistic. I'm not striving to be a size zero, 'cause honey - that ain't gonna happen! And it's possible to reach a healthy weight that doesn't exactly fit into a super small size. I can be a healthy woman in a size 12 or 14. We're all different! Some of us are pears, some are apples, and yes, some have that "banana look". And that's awesome! I love how God made us all different, unique. How creative He is!

I think it's very easy to fall for the lie that says, "All the people on TV who lost weight now fit into a size 4 or 6, so that means I have to, too.". Not true! For some of us, the truth is that we'd actually be unhealthy if we fit into that small of a size. God made some of us (me included) with a larger body frame. So, when a size 6 is just perfect for a lady with a smaller body frame, a size 12 might be the perfectly healthy size for you. Embrace that fact! Don't despise it. We, as Christians are called to be healthy and strong, able to carry out whatever the Lord calls us to do without worrying if we can physically accomplish His work or not. Praise the Lord we don't have to fit into a certain size to be able to be used by Him!

So while I'm not aiming for an I-HAVE-to-weigh-this-amount weight or a certain size, I do still have a goal. I needed something to work toward! Right now, I'm planning to reach 150lbs, and then evaluate whether I'm fine there or if I need to lose more. So as of today, I have 20 more pounds to go. My last "little" chuck!

I enjoyed a piece of homemade apple pie tonight for my "cheat item". Yum! The important part - I had one piece. And, that satisfied me.

Rejoicing in uniqueness ~ Bekah

No comments: