Monday, September 1, 2008

Happy Labor Day

As I mentioned earlier, I've decided to really switch up my exercise schedule in an effort to keep the weight coming off, so on Saturday I quickly moved from one "station" to the next without spending more than 10 minutes at each "station".

After lifting weights and walking on the treadmill, I thought it would be kinda fun to have a family member time me as I ran (in a slalom fashion) around our 5 fruit trees in our front yard. So, Hannah grabbed a clock and walked outside with me. Thinking that I wanted to really challenge myself, I told her that I was going to run around the trees for 3 minutes. On your mark, get set, GO!

Off I ran, trying to pace myself, but knowing that I have no problem jogging on the treadmill for 3 minutes so the thought never occured to me that I might be exhausted before then. Our 2 frisky puppies decided that they wanted to join in the fun, which created a problem for me, because they kept running right in front of my feet. (How can dogs be so smart and so stupid at the same time?)I was hopping and dodging, darting around these furry moving obstacles in my path, and yelling at them to go away. It wasn't in a tone that commanded much respect, though. It was rather breathless and choppy as I was huffing and puffing toward the next tree. For whatever reason, they didn't get the picture. I was rounding one of the trees when I heard a shrill yelp from one of the puppies, and the next thing I knew I was headed straight for the grass. (I'm sure it would be hysterical to watch in slow motion, however at the time I was not happy with how this new exercise routine was turning out.) I fell right onto my elbow and smacked my head on the ground, but thankfully it didn't hurt too bad. Grass is amazing. I was quite upset at the puppies though and ordered Hannah to shut them up in their kennel, but Leah (the merciful animal lover) came to their rescue. Do what you want with them, but keep them OUT of my running lane!

I brushed myself off and decided to start over, but I asked Hannah if I was close to the 3 minute mark. I was quite exhausted when I fell, which was after running the loop almost 2 times and I quickly figured out that running on grass in the yard is a little different than jogging on the treadmill. She smiled and said, Uh....not quite. It was only about 45 seconds.". Okay, so I came up with a new plan. :-) I told her I'd run the loop 3 times and see how long it took me. And again, I was off and running - this time with no puppies underfoot. I did it in 1 min. 20 seconds, and I thought my heart was going to pop out of my chest! That, my friends, is a good cardio workout.

I'd had enough of the trees and moved down into the basement to use the Norditrack and the Gazelle for about 10 minutes each, and then did a cooldown on the treadmill. If that wasn't a change in routine - I don't know what is! I'm hoping this works to my advantage come Friday.

If you haven't done any exercise today, go outside. Walk, play with your kids, go for a bike ride. Yes, I know it's hot. Do it anyway! Sweat won't kill you. If it did, we'd all live in Alaska. :-) Get moving! Turn up the radio and dance with your kids, make an obstacle course and do it with them. ( I don't suggest using puppies...) Just do something! I know you'll be glad you did.

Happy LABOR Day ~Bekah

No comments: