Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Recipe...

Here's what we found from our Google search for "Cucumber Bread". I altered a few things when I made it - i.e. I exchanged applesauce for oil and I cut the sugar in half. Also, I didn't have lemon and orange extract on hand (do any of you???) so I just squeezed a little bit of fresh lemon and orange juice into the batter. The bread is more "spongy" in texture, and if you're not used to eating "healthy bread" it may taste a little...different. But give it a try! Especially if your garden is overflowing in cucumbers, too.

Cucumber Bread

2 C. mashed cucumber (I shredded it instead and it worked great. Do what you prefer!)
1 tsp. soda
3 eggs
3/4 C. oil
2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 C. sugar
1 tsp. lemon extract
1/2 tsp. orange extract
1/4 tsp. vanilla
3/4 tsp. salt
3 C. flour
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ginger

Mix well. Put in 8x4 loaf pan. Bake 350 degrees for about an hour.

My dad tried it for the first time today. He's been very supportive of all my efforts to "healthify" regular recipes, so I was curious to see what he thought of it. We both laughed as he took a bite, chewed and swallowed........ and then reached for a little bit of butter to add on top. (Which is his way of making it taste better!) *smile* I jokingly told him that I had put applesauce in instead of oil because I knew he'd add some butter on top and I was thinking of his heart health first - even before the overall taste. He thanked me for my thoughtfulness, but I'm sure he was wishing I had just added the oil and not cut the sugar in half. But hey! I think it tastes great.

Wow...I've spend an awfully long time talking about cucumber bread......

Try it! You just might like it ~ Bekah

No comments: