Saturday, May 31, 2008

Freedom



I was going through some pictures on our computer today and ran across some shots of my graduation party last year. These pictures made me stop and think...
...more like stop and STARE!!! Oh, Lord - how far you have brought me! I cannot tell you the mix of emotions that wash over me when I look at pictures like that. I'm so excited to see my progress, and so disgusted at not just how I looked - but how I remember feeling. I was in bondage. I was in chains of my own making with no thought that life would be any other way. But, praise the Lord! He's released my shackles and has set me free.
I was thinking today about the whole concept of freedom. There seems, to me, to be different kinds of freedom. For example, the Lord set me free from my bondage to food when I cried out to Him and asked His forgiveness for abusing food and making it an idol in my life. That was my initial "jail break" you might say! But now, He's taking me on a path to freedom of a different kind. Because He didn't just set me free, and now food is no longer an issue for me. I'm free in Christ, but He's teaching me how to walk in His freedom. I need training! I'd blown it for the past 18 years. (Can you imagine being a prisioner for 18 years, and then all of a sudden you're free to go? Go where? And do what?) I had no clue what to do! And it could have been so easy to walk right back into my "prison cell" were it not for His grace. So, He didn't just free me and leave me to figure out how to stay in a state of freedom. That initial act of freedom began a new chapter in my life. A chapter that is all about mind-transformation! I'm learning how to keep Jesus and food in their proper place in my life. I'm beginning to understand His purpose for my life and how He wants me to live it - and that includes how He designed my "temple of the Holy Spirit" to operate and function for His glory. He's helping me to move my house from the sand to the rocks, one foundation stone at a time.
I am free, and I'm being freed day by day. How great is our God! ~Bekah


1 comment:

Grace Mally said...

Rejoicing with you, Bekah! It is SO exciting to see how the Lord is bringing this victory in your life. Also remember how many others are affected by our victories (just like they are by our failures). You are blessing us all through this, and by your good observations, focus, and analogies. :)