Friday, April 2, 2010

Friday Favorites...

I've been so excited this past week, as I've been able to try out several new recipes that I've come across. Most of them I copied from a "Taste of Home" magazine that I was browsing through will sitting here at the library. I've made 3 different recipes and have enjoyed them all! They are all simple, yummy, and healthy. (Which also happen to be my top three criteria for recipes!) Today, I'm going to share with you a "Barley and Bean" salad that I made last night. It was great! Super easy to throw together, and full of protein and fiber. (As a side note, I'll tell you that my family didn't necessarily care for the full "olive oil" flavor, and if you aren't quite accustomed to it either, you may want to add more of the seasonings or just not put quite as much olive oil in. )

Bean and Barley Salad
3/4 C. quick cooking barley
1 Can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 Can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 large sweet red pepper, finely chopped
6 green onions, chopped
1/3 C. fresh cilantro
Dressing:
3/4 C. olive oil
1/3 C. red wine vinegar
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp. pepper
Prepare barley according to package instructions. Transfer to large bowl; stir in beans, corn, red pepper, onion, and cilantro. In a small bowl, combine the dressing ingredients. Pour over salad and toss to coat. Chill before serving! Yummy to eat with pita chips.
Give it a try and tell me what you think!
Bekah

No comments: