Thursday, February 18, 2010


Time for another Friday favorite! I actually happened upon my favorite thing this week in the HyVee Health Mart. My mom and I were making a quick stop there to pick up some almond cheese and rice milk for my sister, Leah. Leah has struggled with acne for several years, and we found that eliminating dairy from her diet has helped immensely! It's quite amazing how much her skin has improved. It's taken several months for her to get used to the "non dairy" cheeses and milks, but now she enjoys them. And after some trial and error, she's found some yummy dairy free recipes that she likes. Her hardest thing to give up was pizza (which our family makes homemade every Friday night!). But with a little almond (or goat) cheese on top, it tastes pretty good!

Anyway, back to my story. :-) Mom and I were kind of browsing around in the refrigerated section, looking for anything else Leah might enjoy when we happened upon almond milk. That sounded VERY good to me (I love almonds!) so I grabbed a half gallon of it to take home and try. Well, it has become my new favorite thing! I put it in everything! It's very good in coffee and smoothies. Leah actually likes it (which surprised me, because it does have a strong "nutty" flavor.....but I guess that's to be expected, because it is, after all, almond milk. LOL) and she uses it on her cereal. I enjoy just drinking it plain, too! The one benefit I enjoy the most (other than it's great flavor) is the fact that it has less calories than regular milk. Only 60 calories in a cup! The downside is that it doesn't offer as much protein, but I get enough of that in other things.
My mom is asking me to stop drinking so much of it, because Leah and I have already gone through a gallon this week! So, I'm trying to cut back and show a little moderation. I'm doing pretty well....sort of....I've only used it twice today......lol.... Okay, so I have room for improvement. :-)
Give almond milk a try! But be careful - you just might like it. A LOT! (And then we'd have to start an "almond milk anonymous" group or something...)
Enjoy your weekend!
Bekah


5 comments:

Grace Mally said...

Ok, I've already asked my mom to buy almond milk next time she goes to the store. (Hopefully I'll like it because I may be the only one in my family drinking it...S and St are sort of skeptical of other forms of "milk" :) )

Thanks for helping with the advertising for Mark Cahill!! Yep, we need to pray that God not only packs it out, but also really works in their hearts and gets people excited about witnessing. :)Love ya,
Grace

Anonymous said...

Hm, I'll have to try almond milk! The only "milk substitutes" of sorts that I've tried before are rice and soy milk.

PS, love your blog template - so cute and Bekah-ish! :)
Miss ya!

Unknown said...

I picked up some Vanilla Almond milk after reading your post. I really like it warm. A great substitute for hot cocoa.

Bekah May said...

Ooo! That sounds yummy, Carla. I'll have to look for Vanilla flavored...I don't remember seeing it the last time we were there.

Bryant! I'm so glad you posted, because I was just thinking about you and Micah Noel the other day. :-) Let me know if you like the Almond milk...I think you will. Hope all things are well with you and your family!

Grace, you have the same joy as I do -I never have to worry about other people eating my food, because they don't like it. See? Eating healthy has more benefits than just physical ones...lol

Rebecca Florio said...

Ooh, I love almond milk! I especially love Almond Breeze unsweetened vanilla brand. It is heavenly! :o)

Your blog is such an encouragement! Keep up the good work and pressing in to Jesus!