Friday, May 1, 2009

Interesting times...

Patience and perserverance does eventually pay off. Sweating, groaning, counting calories, more sweating, drinking water...and doing it every day makes for a successful week. (Well, at least it worked this week.) I lost two pounds! And I'm on my way back to where I used to be. That sentence reminds me of a line from a pathetic country song. LOL



Speaking of pathetic country songs, I had the most amusing and entertaining day at the gym last week. There are multiple TVs for people to watch while working out on the treadmill, bikes, or elliptical machines (while we try to take our minds off of the pain and breathless feelings we frequently experience!). Anyway, I walked into the gym one morning and saw that there was one other person there. And this woman must like country music, because while walking on the treadmill her eyes were glued to the TV. She was watching the "Top 20 Country Music Videos". So, I popped in my earphones and jumped onto and elliptical machine, trying to focus on my workout. I usually bring along an MP3 player to listen to while working out because #1 - Listening to jumpy music makes me feel more energetic #2 - I don't have to listen to all of the other interesting conversations taking place between the other gym members and #3 - If they are watching something inappropriate on the TV, I don't have to. Oh, and #4 - It makes me look cool. LOL!!!!



So, I'm trying to get my brain focused and just be in my "own little world" while plugging away, but my eyes kept getting drawn to the TV. (Am I the only person with this problem?) Where I was positioned on the elliptical, the TV was almost directly in front of me, and I was trying to keep my head up (to keep good posture - important!) but the TV was right in my line of view. Not only did the lady have to channel on, she also had the closed captioning turned on, so there were the words to the Top 20 Songs for me to read. Why she had the closed captioning turned on, I don't know. She had the music playing loud enough as it was. In case you've never been subjected to listening (or reading) country music songs, let me tell you - THEY ARE PATHETIC!!!!! Oh, my goodness. I was trying to stiffle my laughter at how someone could actually listen to that junk. All of the songs seemed to have a few common themes running through them like, "Baby, COME BACK!!! I'm so sorry!!!!! I shouldn't have been so selfish!!!!! How was I supposed to know that you knew that I was cheating on you????? I won't do it again. I've learned my lesson!!!! PLEASE COME BACK!!! I'll do anything! Another theme - Fine! Leave me! I don't need you anyway! I've got my dog and my truck. I'm strong enough on my own! I'm smarter than you! You'll be the sorry one because.......because.......you don't have a dog or a truck!!!! I had to fight the temptation to burst out in song, following the words on the screen while turning to the lady and saying, "Come on! Sing along!". LOL Can you imagine a "country music sing along"? Horror of all horrors!

That's just one example of the interesting times I've had while working out. Keeps me laughing!

Pressing on ~ Bekah

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your post made me laugh so much. Thank you for writing and for pressing on. You are a blessing.

Much Love, Mary
(A BL Intern)

Anonymous said...

You crack me up, Bekah! You're so right though - country music IS pathetic, and earphones are cool. :-p

-Amy

Kitti Klicks said...

country music is pretty wrong! :)

Unknown said...

I used to listen to country music but now I find the lyrics to be very inappropriate for my kids.
I heard that you will be in the cities next Monday. If you would like to work out at our gym, let me know.
Keep up the good work.

Carla