Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Kindred Spirits, Struggles, and Perspective...

Yesterday, my mom received a daily devotional in our inbox. It was the testimony of a lady who had lost 100 pounds in 10 months. Wow! I really enjoyed reading through her story. You can read it at : http://www.karenehman.com/ . It's always encouraging to hear from those who have gone through the same struggles. Being able to find someone who knows exactly what you're going through (and is walking in victory) is so uplifting!

Recently, I've been thinking about the fact that I'm not going to reach my "ideal, healthy weight" and magically stop all my struggles with food. I'll never be able to make it to a point where I can just "freeze" and my body will stay the same weight. It ain't gonna happen! The weight I am working off can be put back on so easily. This is going to be a life-long fight for freedom. I have genetics and my stinking flesh working against me. I have a busy life and schedule (which will only get more crazy when in the future God chooses to enter marriage and a family into the picture) and it's hard trying to make time to exercise. And I happen to love chocolate and carbs! What's a girl to do???

This can be a rather depressing thought. :-) But instead of spending my time playing the "blame game" or making up excuses, I'm choosing to focus on God's purpose for my life. His purpose is for me to bring Him honor and glory through my life. That's my purpose! And in order to do that, He is constantly molding and shaping me into the image of Christ - and that includes setting me free from any sin that separates me from Him. (Yes, even the sin of gluttony!) So in reality, this weight loss journey is one way He is cleansing me so that I can serve Him more and fulfill His purpose for my life. And I get the added bonus of feeling and looking better, too! What a deal!

But, sometimes it isn't all that fun. And sometimes it's painful. Sometimes it means giving up something I'm craving. Sometimes it means watching others enjoy a treat and not getting to share it. Sometimes it means getting up early to get all sweaty and tired. But all the time, it's worth it. I'm seeing Him work in my life in amazing ways, as this is not just a physical journey. I'd even say it's more of a spiritual one! Unless I deal with my root sin, I'll never be free.

I had yet another wonderful opportunity to practice dying to my flesh again last night. My mom made some fresh rhubarb cake and my sister made brownies. Nope, not in my calorie budget right now. :-) Is it hard to resist the temptation to sneak a bite or two? Yes. Absolutely. Some times more than others. Last week, as I wrote, I really struggled. I never gave in, but I felt like the whole week was one intense battle after another. This week has been better. Though the cake and brownies sound good, I know I can't indulge, and I've made a habit of not indulging. (Even when my taste buds are throwing an ever-loving fit.) I flee the temptation! I get out of the kitchen. I focus on something else. I quote my victory verses! Here's my new favorite victory verse : John 3:30. "He must increase, and I must decrease." Literally! *smiles*

This Friday is our big booksale of the year. (My family owns a homeschool curriculum store http://www.thecurriculumcoop.com/ .) We have a crazy schedule for the next few days! And I'm leaving on Monday for the beautiful state of CO to visit my adopted younger sister, Stephanie. All this to say, my blog may be dormant for a little bit. I'll post as often as I can. Thanks for all of your prayers!

Praises be to Him ~ Bekah


No comments: